The system of collecting end-of-life vehicles (ELV) was successfully established; however, it has not reached all the set objectives and the anticipated quantities of collected and destructed vehicles. By awarding 5-year concessions for performing public utility service of the management of end-of-life vehicles in 2007, proper inclusion of car scrapyards into the system of decommissioning, intensified surveillance of illegal disposals and export, and particularly disabling the abuse of declarations indicating the location (temporary deregistration of vehicles) and by informing the public, we must enable the recovery of the planned quantities of end-of-life vehicles.
The indicator shows the quantities of end-of-life vehicles within the framework of the decommissioning system in authorised recovery centres, and the success in reaching the target percentages of reuse, recovery and recycling of end-of-life vehicles.
An end-of life vehicle is an unusable or discarded vehicle that has reached the end of the road by way of its age, collision write-off or other reasons, and has become waste material according to the regulation governing waste management (Rules on the management of end-of-life motor vehicles, Official Gazette of the Republic of Slovenia, no. 118/2004).
Concessionaire Reports - SARA - Internet application on end-of-life vehicles decomposition, Ministry of the Environment and Spatial Planning, 2007
|old burden||number (in 1000)||6381||3811||1314|
|certificated decomposition||number (in 1000)||4886||1886||8104|
|total||number (in 1000)||11267||5697||9418|
- To ensure a unified system of collecting end-of-life vehicles on the entire territory of the Republic of Slovenia and 100% recovery of end-of-life vehicles.
- To reach the percentages of reuse, recovery and recycling (85% by the end of 2006 and 95% by the end of 2014) and eliminate old burdens.
- Proper treatment of hazardous substances.
- Resolution on National Environmental Action Plan 2005-2012 (Official Gazette of the Republic of Slovenia, no. 2/06)
– Rules on the management of end-of-life motor vehicles (Official Gazette of the Republic of Slovenia, no. 118/2004)
– Decree on the manner, subject of and conditions for performing public utility service of the management of end-of-life vehicles (Official Gazette of the Republic of Slovenia, nos. 18/2003, 135/2003, 32/2004, 18/03, 135/03, 106/05, 32/06, 57/06 and 106/06). In accordance with this decree, the established system of collecting and disassembling of end-of-life vehicles is used for the following categories:
a) Category M1: Vehicles used for the carriage of passengers and comprising no more than eight seats in addition to the driver's seat.
b) Category N1: Vehicles used for the carriage of goods and having a maximum mass not exceeding 3.5 tonnes.
c) Category L5: Vehicles with 3 wheels symmetrically arranged in relation to the longitudinal median axis, with a ‘Gross Vehicle Mass‘ not exceeding 1.0 tonne and either an engine cylinder capacity exceeding 50 ml or a ‘Maximum Motor cycle Speed‘ exceeding 50 km/h.